Sunday, July 25, 2010

Getting a Real Touring Bike

So, while I love my current bike, it's becoming apparent that I'm going to need a different one for the trip. You can see that my thinking has changed significantly since I bought my current road bike: http://coastingnow.blogspot.com/2010/04/bike.html. But I want to put this whole learning process out there, and am glad to have it documented so other people starting from scratch will have a resource.

These are the main ways that my current bike (Jamis Ventura Sport Femme) falls short:

Brakes--> I don't feel comfortable having sidepull brakes. They don't feel accessible, and I'm afraid one day I'll need to stop on a dime and won't be able to. I thought I would get used to them, but after 2 1/2 months, I haven't.

Wheels/Tires--> Tires are very thin (23 millimeters), not meant to bear extra weight, and only meant for the road. There isn't room for replacing these tires with ones that are much thicker. I'm afraid I'd spend the entire trip changing flats (and potentially hitch hiking to the next bike shop).

Gears--> My bike is only a 16-speed, which I discovered isn't enough for getting up hills when I have extra weight.

Seat--> It's fine now, but I'd have to change it in before the trip. I've heard this is one of the most important things for long-distance (for obvious reasons).

Loading it up--> There aren't built-in thread holes for putting racks on my road bike in the front. I'll most likely need racks in the front and back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bike I'm looking at (Jamis Aurora) is from Hampshire Bike Exchange as well. I could trade my bike in and just pay the few hundred dollars difference for the Aurora.

Brakes--> It's got front and side brakes-best of both worlds.

Wheels/Tires--->These tires are 32 millimeters thick and are puncture resistant.

Gears--> 27-speed, making climbing hills much easier

Seat--> Wider and plushier than my current seat-meant for sitting on it for a long while.

Loading it up--> Its meant for this. I'd have all kinds of options here

Most importantly, I think I'll be safer and happier on this bike. It's around 27 pounds, which still isn't bad for a regular commuter, so I could continue to use it once we're settled in Austin-no problem.

Lyon is looking at the Jamis Coda Comp. Maybe he can write an entry about that later. I'll let you know when I make the switch! Might be this week!

2 comments:

  1. sounds good. This way you get a better bike for your purposes and probably come out even financially since you won't have to buy a new seat. tires brakes and gears. Hope Lyon gets a new one too.

    ReplyDelete