Monday, April 5, 2010

Bike!


Today I bought this bike:
http://www.hampshirebicycleexchange.com/images/10_VENTURASPORTF_WH.jpg
I'd gone back to the Hampshire Bike Exchange 3 times to try it out, and finally, on my lunch break today I just did it! It's a good bike, and in my price range (which maxed out at $600). It's got a small reach (for a small person like myself), and it's light and comfortable. Technically, it's more of a speed bike (fine by me!).

But one of the guys I talked to at the bike shop told me he actually had a friend who road across the country on a similar bike. In fact, most of what I've heard on bike forums and blogs and things is that you can really do bicyle touring on any bike. Yes, some are better than others, but you can make it happen on anything. I wish I had $1000 to spend on a nice touring bike, but unfortunately, I don't. Lyon's bike is a Schwinn from Target, nothing too fancy (nothing to scoff at either!). We will make do with the pair of bikes we have. A Jamis and a Schwinn.

I had to rush out of the bike shop because my lunch break was coming to a close, but I will be back to talk to them about getting a "shimmy" for the breaks (because I have small hands), and even about changing the break pads so that they are stickier and more responsive. Eventually, it'll need bigger tires, (according to me), a plushier bike seat (according to my behind), a kick stand, paniers, a basket, a water bottle holder...and much more. There is much spandex, gloves, helmets and hairties to be purchased. But the most important item is under my belt.

I'll have an update on how she rides later this week once I've had the chance to ride her to work.

Lots of happy happenings here-Alice

1 comment:

  1. good news Alice. I wrote this yesterday but forgot to push the final button. so here I go again. Looks like a very good bike. Maybe we can get you some gear soon. Maybe one of Daniels baskets? but I'm not sure they are what you need. I'll have S send you a photo. I'm having trouble finding my cousin's phone number but I'll find it and call him soon so you'll have a contact out there. Bunches of potters meeting at Clayworks this evening. I hope they find it interesting. It's one thing showing neophytes around the shop and demonstrating but I'm nervous about a bunch of experts . love, Dad

    ReplyDelete