Sunday, September 12, 2010

tomorrow we ride!

at the hostel. lyon and ariel are fiddling with their bikes. i just got my bike computer set up and lyon's putting his fenders on. ariel is talking with her mom who's in mass about what she needs shipped to her (the shift key doesn't work on this computer and neither does the caps lock). my bike computer will tell me how fast i'm going, what my average speed is, how far i've gone total, and i can set the trip mode when i want to keep track of how far i've gone in a given day. i got it for $13 from academy. 

tomorrow our plan is to get up at 7 and go for one last ride in seattle. there's this route that we still haven't made it to along lake washington that's supposed to be beautiful. we're planning on meeting ariel at 8am on the other side of town and riding together. then we come back to the hostel, load up our things and head to the ferry which is only a few blocks away. an hour-long, $8 ferry will take us to bremerton, wa across the puget sound. the ferry leaves at 10am. then from there it's about a 20 mile ride to belfair state park. we are going to take it easy our first day riding fully loaded down. 

the next day we ride to shelton, or all the way to olympia, depending on how we're doing. in olympia we're staying with my dad's cousin robert who has been encouraging and generous. when i called yesterday to say we were staying in seattle another day because we liked it so much, he said, "we'll be here, don't worry about us, whenever you arrive is fine, stay and rest a couple days." 

so far i am very happy meeting new people, being in a new place and riding my bike. i feel comfortable with my clip-in pedals after riding around the city with them. 

love to everyone. thanks for commenting and letting us know you're there. i promise to make lyon write an entry now and again. 

4 comments:

  1. Checked to see if there was a post yet and bingo, I struck pay dirt. Robert took Stewart and me on the same ferry. Very different from the ferry in Port A. Can't wait to take Lyon there. What a deal on the bike computer. Maybe I'll get one. Did you get my email about free museum day? Off to fire my kiln soon. Chris is asleep. Thinking of you tomorrow on your first real bike day.

    O Yea. Do you know how much you have raised for the Posada? Can you put a graph or some type of counter on the site?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bon voyage!
    Have a great start.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is from sally forwarded from her brother John.

    Alice and Lyon, I've just read your blog from 9/7-9/12 and tried to leave a comment, but ran into problems. Will try to figure it out. Anyway, hope you get this. I'm so enjoying my mental adventure along with your very real one. You are smart, strong and ever on my mind. Happy late Birthday Greetings to Lyon and hello to cousin Bob in Olympia. Stay well and Godspeed! Aunt Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the image of you two crossing the water in the ferry, riding together, then sleeping under the stars. We are all with you via the blog as you ride and commune with nature. It's pretty easy on our leg muscles. How are yours? XO, Vaunie

    ReplyDelete