Sunday, September 19, 2010

Made it to Oregon!

This morning I put on a clean sweatshirt! Nothing ever smelled or felt so good. I haven't really been able to write because of rain and camping situations. But today we crossed the infamous Astoria bridge, which is 4.5 miles long and climbs 400 feet before descending. Crossing that bridge was like getting on a roller coaster, buckling up, and then changing your mind. But it would be more dangerous to climb off right before the start if the ride so you just look straight ahead and hold on. By the end of the bridge my elbows hurt from gripping my handlebars so hard. But we got through it, and the rain wasn't too heavy and there were large breaks in traffic.

I know I need to catch the blog up on the past couple if days, but the short version is that a couple days ago we ran into the lovely, Martha, and have been traveling with her. Yesterday evening, we ran into Chris and Davis, so we all split a hotel room here in Astoria (pronounced "asstoria," I'm not being fresh, that really is how the locals say it). So last night we had some beers, did laundry, and soaked our tired bodies in the hot tub. What a luxury! I think we may see if we can all stay on the same path and meet back up this evening. Chris is traveling super light (no panniers at all!) and Davis has toured on his bicycle in over 35 countries. Do I'm sure they're faster than us, but we'll see how today goes.

More later. I need to check in on the fundraiser. I think we've gone close to 300 miles so I have to make sure we are meeting or dollar a mile goal! I will let you know soon.

3 comments:

  1. When you texted me that you had just crossed the Astoria bridge I googled it and my legs got weak. Way to go guys. hello to your new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are fantastic! I also ache as I hear about your riding, BUT I also smile...a lot! Great going! a new state to explore. What a bridge! A church friend gave me $100. cash for you. I will pay pal it for the fundraiser. It seems like my friends just want to hand over cold cash. So, I'll take it and convert it to my PayPal acct... cash counts, right?!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bridge sounds awesome. I laughed when you wrote about your elbows hurting. Not a malicious laugh. It just put so matter-of-factly the challenge of the bridge :)

    ReplyDelete