Sunday, August 15, 2010

Coda Comp and Care with Clips















Once again, we had big plans for loading our bikes up and going for a test biking/camping run. And once again, it didn't happen the way we planned it. But, like last time, we learned a lot and made tons of progress.

Lyon bought his bike yesterday- the Jamis Coda Comp. It's the same bike Areil's riding (she's the girl who works at Hampshire Bike Exchange, where we've been going to get all our bicycle-related things). I'll let him tell you about his bike, especially once he's had some time to ride it, but it's got a carbon fork which makes it lighter and I think it's a good shock-absorber too.

Ariel has been such an inspiration. Not only is she always available at the bike shop to answer questions and brainstorm with us, but we've been able to trade some things and help each other out. We gave her an extra 2-person tent we had which she may not use on her trip, but will be good someday. And it turns out, she's letting me borrow her extra pair of bike shoes for our trip. Why do I need special bike shoes? Because they have cleats in them. Why do I need shoes with cleats in them? Because, in the end after much back and forth, we sprung for the pedals with clips, and we decided to just hope that we like them as much as everyone else does.

Lyon is the one who made the decision to get them. I was more of the lazy, cheap attitude-it just seemed one more expense, and the thought of having my foot attached to my pedal made me a little nervous. But once Lyon had made up his mind, I realized I couldn't get left behind. You see, there have been too many instances where we went to dinner and Lyon ordered something adventurous and a little pricey, while I opted to order something I knew I'd like that was in my price range. What always happens? The waiter sets Lyon's food down in front of him and I'm immediately jealous. Well not this time! I won't be huffing and puffing up hills in foot straps while his feet are neatly clipped into pedals, making his uphill climbs more efficient than mine. No way! If he's on board with the clips, I'm on board too!

It was funny riding around the parking lot at Hampshire Bike Exchange with our feet clipped into pedals for the first time. And before I took off, I tried engaging and releasing my foot from the pedal. I couldn't get my foot out! I tried and tried, but eventually ariel had to run and get a screw driver so she could release the tension on the pedal. I'm glad that happened with one foot on the ground instead of while in motion. Ariel laughed as she remembered her first experience with clips. Unable to get her feet out of her pedals when she came to a stop at a light, she simply fell over. Once I was sure I'd be able to get my foot out, I took a spin, and it did feel good. I can tell how it would be an efficient use of power.

In addition to Lyon's bike this weekend (which happened to be tax-free weekend in Massachusetts, sweet!), we bought:

A bike light that detaches and functions as a flashlight

A multitool with most of the bike tools we'll need (complete with tire levers)

2 rear racks

One pair of Panniers (we went with a brand called Axiom. They're medium sized, and are not completely water proof because if they were they wouldn't be breathable at all. They just look like little back packs, and they have straps we can use to care them like shoulder bags when we're on a plane or bus.

An adapter for our Presta tire valves (this will allow us to fill our tires at gas stations. bikes I had growing up were always Schrader valves, but the last two bikes I've had have been Presta. Here's a quick explanation and some pics: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/presta-schrader.html)

Bottle cages (for now, we each have two)

A small pump that fits easily against a bike's top tube (we had one already, but this one has a short hose, which will make pumping easier).

A $5 patch kit for when we get flats

2 extra tubes (again, for when we get flats)

A long bike lock that we can use to lock both our bikes together (we also both have Ulocks).

That's mostly it. We've still got more to buy, but the bulk is out of the way. Oh! And we planned out the first few days of the trip. More on that in the next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment